home my cottage projects book club shop featured my buttons advertise

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Dining Room Makeover

What's Really Scary
I decided I was NOT spending money on Halloween decor this year. 
My only purchase being that I bought cheap sheets at Walmart to cover my furniture...
so that my house looks really haunted. 

But the scariest thing in this photo is not the ghosts or ravens or witches....
it's the room beyond, the dining room. 
Which is terribly neglected. 
I promised myself I was going to paint my dining room furniture over the summer and it did not happen.
In my own defense, I was pretty busy with outside projects.
And having so many pieces to paint at once is quite daunting. (five chairs, table and buffet)

So...it's now or never....and I am declaring it is now.
See the cloudiness of the patio door?  That's a build up of weenie dog snot. 
If you have dogs you know how this stuff is like glue...very hard to remove.
Of course I didn't even try to remove it before this shot...so there.
Ignore the dust bunnies under the buffet. I haven't bothered to clean under there because 
I keep thinking I'm getting ready to move it to paint it. Terrible....lazy...that is what I am.

So this table, chairs and buffet, my Mom found for me at Salvation Army. 
It's been sitting here patiently waiting for me to finish it. 
I started on the buffet two years ago as you can see but didn't get any further. 
Now because I've posted it...I have to get it done. 
I said it would be done by Halloween and time is ticking away. 

I'm so tired of averting my eyes when I walk through my dining room 
and explaining to friends that it's a work in progress.
Shameful that my dining room is so unfinished. 

There now I have to do it.


10 comments:

Melanie {The Tiny Tudor} said...

Your living room looks great- I like all the spooky touches. And the pieces in the dining room are really pretty. Looking forward to seeing how you paint them.
Your door made me smile- I can picture the dogs all excited to go outside! Our doors usually have tons of little circle prints on them from kitty noses peering outside. I usually have to clean with dish soap and warm water before going over with glass cleaner. If only we could teach our pets tricks like housework!

Cindi Myers said...

This WHOLE post has me smiling!
First, because my livingroom looks like that ALL the time! Covered in sheets so the dogs don't destoy the furniture!
Second, after I posted my "kitchen" witch, it was suggested that I show photos of my kitchen. WHAT! That means I have to finish painting the half the furniture in there! and do the backsplash!
and Last, I use the foaming spray bathroom cleaner on EVERYTHING!
It cuts through dog snot magically!
LOL! We definitely live similar lives...but yours is prettier!
XOXO - Cindi

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Can't wait to see what you do. I am sure it will look so good.

the gardener's cottage said...

i'm not a big fan of halloween decor but i love this. it's not cheap plastic crap. now you better get to work b/c that is a huge project you've set yourself up for. better you than me though.
can't wait to see the results.

~janet

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

I put things off too because they feel overwhelming.... JUST START! You'll be on a roll and you'll be finished before you know it...and the feeling of accomplishment will be AWESOME! **** This is a not to self as well...


Warm blessings,
Spencer

Marie said...

Luv that buffet Nita, and covering the sofa with white sheets is a great idea. I was just thinking about doing that for my halloween high tea.
-marie

Nita Stacy said...

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement. Also big thanks for telling what to use to clean the nose smudges off the window. I hope to show this furniture all painted by the end of the month. I know once I get started on it...I'll be in to it. It's just there are always other things I need to do...so I keep putting it off. But no more! Well, I have to decorate for Halloween outside...but then....its all about this furniture.

Teresa said...

Oh I love your living room...what a great idea with the sheets....
I know the putting off game all too well....=) so no worry....it will look fabulous I'm sure when you have the time for it.

Olive said...

The dining table and buffet has great bones. It will be beautiful painted. Does the buffet have pendant pulls? Looks like it might.

Linda Q said...

Your living room looks darling, Fall fun and cute not scary or dark, I like it!
And I am sure your dining room will turn out great after you "play" in there too. And you inspired me with your mirrors in your bathroom to do what I had already thought of doing but wasn't sure about till I saw your bathroom. When I am done finding my mirrors I will do a post on it!
Happy Fall,
Linda